Remember when costume designer extraordinary Sandy Powell won her third Oscar for Young Victoria and she was so over it, dedicating it to costume designers on contemporary films who never get recognized? That was kind of great and terrible simultaneously.
Um. I already have two of these."
Sandy Powell is one of the greatest designers in the history of the movies, previously winning for The Aviator (2004) and Shakespeare in Love (1998). But if you ask me she won her first for the wrong film. She beat herself in 1998 as she was double nominated. Velvet Goldmine. Come on.
Do you think Powell can pull off Oscar number four on Sunday?
- Oscar loves period pieces, the older the period the better, which gives Anonymous and Jane Eyre the edge.
- Oscar loves gorgeous costume work and a whole unmistakable heap of them, which gives Arianne Phillips work on W.E. the edge.
- Oscar loves royalty porn which gives Anonymous and W.E. the edge.
- Oscar loves Best Picture frontrunners which gives The Artist the edge.
- Oscar loves Sandy Powell and Best Picture nominees in general which gives Hugo the edge.
With such a wide range of possibilities that might be attractive to the voters, I'm guessing it's a five way race which slides this over into the win column for The Artist. But you never know on the below the line categories. Weird things can occur.
OH. I ALMOST FORGOT. Here are my costume design nominees! which completes the traditional Oscar-like categories in The Film Experience's annual Film Bitch Awards so I've added in the tallies at the end of that page. I'll announce my winners tomorrow I think. Let me sleep on the tough calls.
I'll also start the Final Oscar Predictions tomorrow. Wheeeee, we're almost there.