The nominations for Germany's Oscars, or "The Lolas" have been announced. Barbara, which didn't excite Oscar voters this past season, won the Lola last year. Which film will it be this year for Germany? Cloud Atlas won the most nominations, nine, which is quite a haul for a non German picture. But ⅓ of Cloud Atlas's directing body is named Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run) so it's German enough.
- CLOUD ATLAS (Lana Wachowski & Andy Wachowski & Tom Tykver)
- HANNAH ARENDT (Margarethe von Trotta)
- LORE (Cate Shortland, Australia's Oscar Submission)
- OH BOY (Jan Ole-Gerster)
- QUELLEN DES LEBENS (Oskar Roehler)
- THE WALL (Julian Roman Polsler)
Oscar submission chatter after the jump...
Because the release date eligibility for the Lolas and Oscar are different you might see any of these pictures (apart from Lore and Cloud Atlas) submitted for Oscar consideration in 2013. According to THR, Oh Boy is the one to watch in terms of the Lolas. It's a black and white debut picture which was a major hit in Germany this winter and it's expected to take Best Actor (at least) for Tom Schilling who plays a university dropout who wanders Berlin.
Will Germany submit Oh Boy for 2013? If they're still just as fond of it six months from now they might but it should probably be noted that it's less typical Oscar Bait then its competition: Hannah Arendt is a biopic about a political theorist who wrote about Nazi war crimes; The Wall is based on a metaphorical survival bestseller about a woman in the mountains where her two companions disappear (or some such); Quellen Des Lebens or Sources of Life is a semi-autobiographical multi-generational family drama about postwar Germany.
And here are the acting nominees...
- Martina Gedeck in The Wall
- Birgit Minichmayr in Grace
- Barbara Sukowa in Hannah Arendt
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
- Margarita Broich in Quellen Des Lebens (Sources of Life)
- Friederike Kempter in Oh Boy
- Christine Schorn in Life is Not For Cowards
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
- Michael Gwisdek in Oh Boy
- Robert Gwisdek in The Weekend
- Ernst Stötzner in What Remains
If you've seen any of these pictures, do share your experience in the comments.