Remember that classic Robert Frost poem?
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Sadly, it's incredibly dated; everyone knows that the world will end in a zombie apocalypse!
World War Z, which opens next June, is the latest in a seemingly endless stream of zombie apocalypses from Hollywood. The first trailer has arrived. Let's break it down...
- Unreservedly I think Brad Pitt one of the best movie stars of all time so I'm always up for it when I see his name goes BOOM in any trailer.
- Plus, cinematically speaking, he suffers and worries and fathers REALLY well and he appears to be doing all three here.
- Brad, Mireille Enos and the two young actresses Abigail Hargrove and Sterling Jerins pass as a real family to me and that's usually a good sign
- The way the zombie apocalypse starts in a traffic jam, with the freaky cop death totally made me jump
- The way the zombies just run right off buildings, with no hesitation is a freaky visual
- The visual of the population count dropping off is s-c-a-r-y. Contagion II
- Another zombie apocalypse?!? There has to be other ways for the world to end.
- New York City destroyed again. Can't movie characters live in any other city?
- I tried to read this book back when it was a best-seller but couldn't get into it at all even though, if I remember correctly, it was an original mosaic several characters in different locales take on zombie apocalypse storytelling. (The movie appears to be radically different and therefore less original)
- I know people weren't hot on Marc Forster's work in Quantum of Solace but I thought he handled the action sequences really well.
- I'm not sure what to make of the zombies moving in waves of flesh, toppling all over each other. Do our limbs suddenly work differently once we're zombified. Do most zombies die from being trampled by other zombies instead of blows to the head? Or is this just a case of CGI being rushed into trailer form before it's really finessed for the film's release?
Can you handle another zombie apocalypse? If so, declare your yes no and maybe so in the comments.