Alexa here. 2013 has been filled with movie gifts aplenty, my favorites thus far being the smaller-scale treasures Stories We Tell and Frances Ha. But enough pixels have been spilled over the best films of 2013, so I'm using this space to share the film curios I've been dreaming of this year, all of the art variety. Some of these I've already gifted myself, too impatient to wait for someone else to get on it! Here's hoping you get everything you're wishing for this year, too.
- Alternative Movie Posters: Film Art from the Underground by Matthew Chojnacki. This volume nicely covers some of the best indie film posters out there, and includes some of my favorite artists in the process. I couldn't wait for the holidays so I bought it off of my own Amazon wish list; it's sitting on our coffee table right now.
- Notorious poster by New Flesh. This poster illustrates one my favorite films with gorgeous, monochromatic crosshatching.
- Annie Hall screenprint by Adam Maida. This print manages, in a single gesture, to capture the nostalgia inherent in Woody's classic.
- The Films of Jean-Luc Godard by Nathan Gelgud. Another print I'm lusting after, whose illustrations conjure the spirit of the New Wave master.
- Tilda screenprint by Patryk Mogilnicki. Just, all kinds of awesome.