June is always the toughest month for me to wrap my head 'round. It's my busy birthday month, the summer hits, the blog dips. And when it's over I'm all like "What? The year is half over?!?!?" In the last week of June we celebrated Gay Moments in Cinema and though it wasn't planned we gave equal time to movies before gay liberation (Suspicion, All About Eve, The Maltese Falcon) as after (My Beautiful Laundrette, and My Own Private Idaho) which is kinda how we always do here at TFE, spanning all eras of movies. We can't be penned in by the now! I didn't have time to revisit but I myself kept thinking about Weekend, that recent gay romantic drama that instantly seems to have seized hearts, gay and straight, around the internet. I couldn't be prouder of that movie if it was the last movie on earth. Where do you hope gay cinema goes in the future?
Anywhay herewith a handful of highlights from the month that was in case you, like many people during the summer, don't get to your favorite blog (oh you know you "like" us) as often as you'd like...
- Great Zombie Makeover Warm Bodies DVD extras
- Bull Durham a 25th anniversary appreciation
- Scandinavian Adventure a few notes from the longest vacation I've taken
- Teen Wolf returns, gets "tattoo" -TV Review
- i ♥ glowing eyes a supernatural gallery
- Leonardo DiCaprio and Oscar do you think they've treated him fairly?
- top ten 1960s Hitchcock, Bergman and double dose of Deneuve and Natalie Wood
Coming in July:
- QUEUE 'EM!: We'll be talking about Dead Ringers (1988), Mary Poppins (1964) so get familiar (or familiar again)
- SEE EM?: We'll be visiting the multiplex for The Lone Ranger and The Wolverine and the arthouse for Oscar hopefuls Fruitvale Station and Blue Jasmine among other new releases.
- SUGGEST IT: Want somethin'? Say so.