The Imitation Game trailer was released a few days ago, I think, but I'm just now breaking its code. If your patience has expired waiting for me to Yes No Maybe So this, that makes you Charles Dance. Nobody wants to be Charles Dance! He will never understand the importance of Yes No Maybe So but you do.
So join me for indecipherable gadgets, Keira's clipped sass, and elaborate hand gestures after the jump
• I really dig Benedict Cumberbatch's voice work from what I'm hearing
• True Story: Whenever Keira Knightley speaks in super clipped sassy tones I go weak in the knees
• Beautiful infomational construction with the Enigma device for those who don't know their history
• Matthew Goode + Allen Leech (aka Tom from Downton Abbey!) = Bonus points (I didn't know they were in this but I love to look at both of them)
• All those loving sensuous shots of maps, machinery, spinny things, and typewriter-like code-breaking is making me hot. And I'm not even a gadget-obsessed guy.
• The stunning cascade of scary images that kick off the trailer suggest this has scope. FWIW the cinematography is by Óscar Faura, who lensed The Orphanage and The Impossible
• I also like the intro of the Enigma machine with a smart use of voiceover,though this part...
If you speak a word of what I am about to show you, you will be executed for high treason
...almost makes me fearful to speak several words of what they've just shown me. You know, like I'm doing right now.
• The title cards are gaggy. Hopefully the movie isn't as heavy-handed as that.
• The trailer seems to be showing us the whole movie. DO NOT LIKE... though this does save us ticket purchase money
• You guys. I can't be the only person who is sick to death of teaser doing that metronomic like fade to black (or white) pulsing every ½ second while the music keeps pace with punctuation. Try something new, trailer people!
• The last movie I saw on this topic, Enigma was dull. Even with Kate Winslet in the corresponding girl genius role (though not playing the same character as Keira I should add)
• Ummmm. Benedict Cumberbatch already did this closeted gay and espionagey thing just three years ago in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011).
TWO MORE CATEGORIES THIS TIME
These flourishy hand gestures are giving me life: Goode with an upright spirit fingers prototype, Cumberbatch with pray-cry mittens, and Keira doing the international sign for "ZOMG!" in places where you can't scream out like libraries, churches or code-breaking HQs.
This trailer convinces me that Keira Knightley has a shot in Supporting Actress even though the one person I've talked to who has seen this didn't have much hope for acting nominations outside of Benedict. But I'm sorry. She looks so Supportive and you know how they get those two words mixed up during voting.
The Trailer in Question. Are you a Yes No or Maybe So?