If you love Oscars too much (*raises hands*) your head can get a little swimmy on Oscar nomination day, trying to parse it all. Particularly the numbers and the new statistics. This could take some time. But here are some non-subjective hierarchies and numbers and stats from the day.
We'll start with the easy one.
- La La Land (14)
- [tie] Moonlight and Arrival (8)
- [tie] Hacksaw Ridge and Lion and Manchester by the Sea (6)
- Fences (4)
- Hidden Figures and Jackie (3)
NOTE: Jackie marks the second year in a row wherein a "chilly" gorgeous movie about a complicated woman wins the distinction of "most nominated movie that isn't nominated for Best Picture" -- coincidence? Nope.
Category with Most First Timers!
(excluding categories with too way many names to look up like producing, visual fx, sound,song, and makeup)
- Adapted Screenplay (5/5 nominees are newbies to Oscar)
- [tie] Original Score and Cinematography (4/5 nominees are newbies to Oscar)
- Best Director (4/5 nominees are first timers in this particular category though some have been nominated in other categories)
- Best Supporting Actor (3/5 nominees are newbies to Oscar)
- Original Screenplay (3/5 nominees are first time nominees for writing)
Other Curious Statistics after the jump...