Hey kids. I have been in Iceland for a few days (all will be revealed in time) so I thought I'd pop in quickly for three things. First, to thank Anne, Tim and Glenn for providing you content while I'm away. Second to say "congrats!" to Golden Globe nominee Sally Hawkins who I met just before leaving on my trip (interview forthcoming) and who kinda sorta blew my mind by actually knowing / loving the site. Was it my Happy-Go-Lucky (2008) obsession? Third, and finally, to list the TV nominations for Globe & SAG.
I'll have more to say on the movie nominations (where my heart lies as you know) other than "co-sign! What Glenn said" once I return to the States this weekend. But for now let's talk the TV nominations after the jump since I only have a hot minute between events here in Iceland.
SAG & GLOBE TV NOMINATIONS
Let's look at them in tandem to see where they differ. Which prize wins
SAG Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries
- MATT DAMON– "BEHIND THE CANDELABRA"
- MICHAEL DOUGLAS "BEHIND THE CANDELABRA"
- JEREMY IRONS – "THE HOLLOW CROWN"
- ROB LOWE– "KILLING KENNEDY"
- AL PACINO– "PHIL SPECTOR"
GLOBE (Lead) Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries
- MATT DAMON - "BEHIND THE CANDELABRA"
- MICHAEL DOUGLAS- "BEHIND THE CANDELABRA"
- CHIWETEL EJIOFOR "DANCING ON THE EDGE"
- IDRIS ELBA "LUTHER"
- AL PACINO "PHIL SPECTOR"
GLOBE (Supporting) Actor in the Television Series, Movie or Miniseries
- JOSH CHARLES "THE GOOD WIFE"
- ROB LOWE "Behind the Candelabra"
- AARON PAUL - "Breaking Bad"
- COREY STOLL- "House of Cards"
- JON VOIGHT -" Ray Donovan"
Can I just remind everyone again that the Emmys did right by Behind the Candelabra and didn't try to pretend that Matt Damon or Michael Douglas were "supporting" actors in a two-lead drama. Well done. I would rejoice that SAG followed suit except that they can only chooose based on what the studio submits. So if the studio says they have zero leads or ten leading men, you say "zero or ten it is!" But the studio didn't even have to choose. You see, further confusing matters and making correlation between the various awards shows almost pointless is that not only do they go by different calendars but they also don't have the same category distinctions: SAG does not differentiate between supporting and leading when it comes to tv movies/miniseries and the Globes do differentiate but then lump in supporting actors from regular series in with movies and miniseries.
It's enough to make the blood vessels in your head explode if you're trying to know what to expect or to even consider the aesthetic differences of opinion. But all that said there are marked differences between the shows. For instance, Emmy did not honor Corey Stoll (House of Cards) or Rob Lowe (Candelabra) with nominations despite having more opportunity to do so given more categories. The Globes course correct here and give these fine gentlemen their due.
SAG Actress in a Television Movie or Miniseries
- ANGELA BASSETT / Coretta Scott King – "BETTY & CORETTA"
- HELENA BONHAM CARTER / Elizabeth Taylor – "BURTON AND TAYLOR"
- HOLLY HUNTER / G.J. – "TOP OF THE LAKE"
- HELEN MIRREN / Linda Kenney Baden – "PHIL SPECTOR"
- ELISABETH MOSS / Robin Griffin – "TOP OF THE LAKE"
GLOBE (Lead) Actress in a Television Movie or Miniseries
- HELENA BONHAM CARTER "BURTON AND TAYLOR"
- REBECCA FERGUSON "WHITE QUEEN"
- JESSICA LANGE "AMERICAN HORROR STORY: COVEN"
- HELEN MIRREN "PHIL SPECTOR"
- ELISABETH MOSS "TOP OF THE LAKE"
GLOBE (Supporting) Actress in a TV Movie, Series, or Miniseries
- JACQUELINE BISSET "DANCING ON THE EDGE"
- JANET MCTEER "WHITE QUEEN"
- HAYDEN PANETIERRE "NASHVILLE"
- MONICA POTTER "PARENTHOOD"
- SOFIA VERGARA "MODERN FAMILY"
Can we stop pretending that American Horror Story is a miniseries and accept that it's a series? Yes, it has a different story each year but since the creative team and the cast are mostly the same and the title prefix is too... it seems like cheating.
SAG Actor in Comedy Series
- ALEC BALDWIN / Jack Donaghy – "30 ROCK"
- JASON BATEMAN / Michael Bluth – "ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT"
- TY BURRELL / Phil Dunphy – "MODERN FAMILY"
- DON CHEADLE / Martin "Marty" Kaan – "HOUSE OF LIES"
- JIM PARSONS / Sheldon Cooper – "THE BIG BANG THEORY"
Globe Actor Comedy Series
- JASON BATEMAN "ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT"
- DON CHEADLE "HOUSE OF LIES"
- MICHAEL J FOX "THE MICHAEL J FOX SHOW"
- JIM PARSONS – "THE BIG BANG THEORY"
- ANDY SAMBERG - "BROOKLYN NINE-NINE"
The Globes remind us that with TV they are much more new series friendly than SAG or Emmy tends to be.
SAG Actress Comedy Series
- MAYIM BIALIK / Amy Farrah Fowler – "THE BIG BANG THEORY"
- JULIE BOWEN / Claire Dunphy – "MODERN FAMILY"
- EDIE FALCO / Jackie Peyton – "NURSE JACKIE"
- TINA FEY / Liz Lemon – "30 ROCK"
- JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS / Vice President Selina Meyer – "VEEP"
Globe Actress Comedy Series
- ZOOEY DESCHANEL "THE NEW GIRL"
- LENA DUNHAM "GIRLS"
- EDIE FALCO "NURSE JACKIE"
- JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS - "VEEP"
- AMY POEHLER "PARKS AND RECREATION"
Okay, that one is not even a contest. Globe wins the "most discerning taste" awards over SAG
SAG Best Actor in a Drama Series
- STEVE BUSCEMI / Enoch "Nucky" Thompson – "BOARDWALK EMPIRE"
- BRYAN CRANSTON / Walter White – "BREAKING BAD"
- JEFF DANIELS / Will McAvoy – "THE NEWSROOM"
- PETER DINKLAGE / Tyrion Lannister – "GAME OF THRONES"
- KEVIN SPACEY / Francis Underwood – "HOUSE OF CARDS"
GLOBE Best Actor in a Drama Series
- BRYAN CRANSTON "BREAKING BAD"
- LIEV SCHREIBER "RAY DONOVAN"
- MICHAEL SHEEN – "MASTERS OF SEX"
- KEVIN SPACEY– "HOUSE OF CARDS"
- JAMES SPADER - "THE BLACKLIST"
No Hamm. No Sale! Both groups fail to nominate Don Draper and, thus, fail. Yes the show has been on a long time. No, he's not less brilliant now. The character is just more pathetic, is all.
SAG Best Actress in a Drama Series
- CLAIRE DANES / Carrie Mathison – "HOMELAND"
- ANNA GUNN / Skyler White – "BREAKING BAD"
- JESSICA LANGE / Fiona Goode – "AMERICAN HORROR STORY: COVEN"
- MAGGIE SMITH / Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham – "DOWNTON ABBEY"
- KERRY WASHINGTON / Olivia Pope – "SCANDAL"
GLOBE Best Actress in a Drama Series
- JULIANNA MARGUILES "THE GOOD WIFE"
- TATIANA MASLANY "ORPHAN BLACK"
- TAYLOR SCHILLING "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"
- KERRY WASHINGTON "SCANDAL"
- ROBIN WRIGHT "HOUSE OF CARDS"
I AM NOT OKAY WITH LIZZY CAPLAN'S SNUB FOR "MASTERS OF SEX" NOT OKAY WITH THIS AT ALL. IF YOU TAKE NOTHING FROM THIS POST BUT THAT, THAT'S FINE. NOT. OKAY.
Did you notice? SAG is not pretending that American Horror Story is a miniseries rather than a regular series. Good on them. Now if only Emmy will follow suit. In other housekeeping news, I've always hated that SAG did not differentiate between supporting and leading for its television awards (I don't like assymetry in awardage and it's cruel to lump them together while simultaneous stating (as SAG does over in 'motion picture') that they believe these are two different things. I expect SAG is where we see Claire Danes first defeat since Homeland began. I'm guessing Kerry Washington wins both SAG and GLOBE prizes. She's ever more buzzy while Claire Danes, the Emmy winner has to take cover given the (deserved) critical disatisfaction on Homeland. It's worth noting that SAG and GLOBES have extremly dissimilar taste in this field with only Kerry Washington making both lists.
Listen I love... let me restate... LOVE Dame Maggie Smith's Dowager Countess but these autopilot nominations from SAG, especially when there are only five women allowed in a category fusion, need to stop.
SAG Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
- BOARDWALK EMPIRE
- BREAKING BAD
- DOWNTON ABBEY
- GAME OF THRONES
Any TV awards groups that ignore Mad Men are pointless. Yes, yes, I know it's common sport now to try to take it down several notches (that's what years of accolades will do to a classic) but the proof is in the pudding. This show always had it, still has it, and will probably keep on demonstrating that from top to bottom of the call list until it goes off the air.
SAG Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
- 30 ROCK
- ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT
- BIG BANG THEORY
- MODERN FAMILY
I don't know how you exist as a carbon-based life form and NOT recognize that Parks and Recreation is the definition of "Ensemble" pleasure.
SAG Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Television Series
- BOARDWALK EMPIRE
- BREAKING BAD
- GAME OF THRONES
- THE WALKING DEAD
I definitely don't watch enough action-oriented television to have feelings about this category. Do any of you? Is there any show that isn't getting enough credit in this arena?
Wouldn't it be awesome if some prankster at SAG released a fake ballot for "Best Stunt Casting" with the regular ballots. If so who would sweep the field?
Lifetime Achievement Award RITA MORENO. Go Rita! And happy belated birthday, too, girl.
THOUGHTS? Do share.