February may be the shortest month of the year but due to Oscar night, it's the longest for us. If you don't visit the site regularly in the Off-Oscar season I urge you to reconsider. We have a lot of fun with a much rangier selection of movies from March thru November. I can't be the only one who is worn out by the Big Ten. Nevertheless, I don't mean to gripe about the Oscars. That's a knee jerk response born from fatigue. In a month or two (or maybe even a week's time) we'll miss his shiny golden ass. Oh, you know we will!
Some highlights of posting this month in case you missed them.
- James and Anne vs. The World it's weird to look at this now that we've seen them do their thang. Or now that we've seen Anne try to do her thing while James stood there.
- The Oscar Short Films Michael wrote up all 15 shorts. These posts had staying power as more of you checked out the nominees. I think the added exposure of these categories over the past few years (thanks to YouTube and iTunes) is one of the best Oscar developments.
- X-Men First Class the mutant team's superhold on my childhood
- Interviews! We gabbed with nominated craftsmen from The King's Speech and True Grit as well as the Oscar winning editors of The Social Network.
- Bright Star. Love's Cool Breeze Kurtis on a swoony underappreciated gift from 2009
- 30 Seconds to Summer it was fun to step away from the prestige films and move over to the boom boom whiz bang of coming blockbusters. They're just around the corner.
- My First (Three) Deans JA finally drank the James Dean Kool-aid.
- And finally a round of applause for TFE's contributors. The Podcast has been an incepted dream BRAAAAHHHHHHHM with Nick, Katey and Joe. Our Oscar Podcast wrap up comes this Sunday. And I always enjoy Robert's Distant Relatives , Andreas new Mix Tape and Alexa's Curios because it's the only times I get to be surprised by what shows up on the site. Well done.
We'll wrap up Oscar (Podcast!) and the Film Bitch Awards this week.
Then... A NEW FILM YEAR. I've designated March as Reader Appreciation Month. There will also be a Tennessee Williams Centennial "Stellllllaaaaaaaaaaaa", dispatches from New Directors/New Films, the return of Hit Me With Your Best Shot, and more. Please stick around. There's more to life than Oscar.
P.S. I'm suddenly violently ill. At least the flu politely waited for Oscar night to pass. Thank you, flu!