Refresh your screens for periodic updates. Some of the type if funky on this page but I copied and pasted from Oscar's site so whatever they had in their coding travelled.
And the nominees are...
- American Hustle
Charles Roven, Richard Suckle, Megan Ellison and Jonathan Gordon, Producers
- Captain Phillips
Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti and Michael De Luca, Producers
- Dallas Buyers club
Robbie Brenner and Rachel Winter, Producers
Alfonso Cuarón and David Heyman, Producers
Megan Ellison, Spike Jonze and Vincent Landay, Producers
Albert Berger and Ron Yerxa, Producers
Gabrielle Tana, Steve Coogan and Tracey Seaward, Producers
- 12 Years a Slave
Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Steve McQueen and Anthony Katagas, Producers
- The Wolf of Wall street
Nominees to be determined
Instant Reaction: a perfect score for me again in terms of predictions (I thought they might end with Philomena but if 9 then Her) but I really wish they'd just go back to 10 or, even better, 5. 9 is a stupid number. As per usual the Best Picture nominees really dominated all awardage with a total of 61 nominations between them.
Secondary Reaction: I had expected 12 Year a Slave to lead the nominations but despite a hefty nomination total egregious snubs happened in the tech fields. No Cinematography is virtually unfathomable but it happened.
- christian Bale AMERICAN HUSTLE
- Bruce Dern NEBRASKA
- leonardo Dicaprio THE WOLF OF WALL STREET
- chiwetel ejiofor 12 YEARS A SLAVE
- matthew mcconaughey DALLAS BUYERS CLUB
Instant Reaction: All that time I took worrying about whether it would be Robert Redford or Leonardo DiCaprio was pointless since it was Christian Bale that threw Redford AND Hanks off their boats... I'm sad about the latter because Tom Hanks did his best work since at least 1992 in that picture.
- Barkhad Abdi CAPTAIN PHILLIPS
- Bradley cooper AMERICAN HUSTLE
- michael fassbender 12 YEARS A SLAVE
- Jonah Hill THE WOLF OF WALL STREET
- Jared leto DALLAS BUYERS CLUB
Instant reaction: one of my only 100% correct categories. I'd be way said for Daniel Brühl if not for the category fraud.
- Amy Adams AMERICAN HUSTLE
- cate Blanchett BLUE JASMINE
- sandra Bullock GRAVITY
- Judi Dench PHILOMENA
- meryl streep AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY
Instant Reaction: Genuinely surprised it was Emma Thompson who got the boot. I prefer her to all but one of these nominations, truth be told. But the Adams and Streep nominations just go to show you that being in a movie people love and/or being a reflexive vote is the way to go to rack up nominations.
- sally Hawkins BLUE JASMINE
- Jennifer lawrence AMERICAN HUSTLE
- lupita nyong’o 12 YEARS A SLAVE
- Julia roberts AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY
- June squibb NEBRASKA
Instant Reaction: HAWKINS!!!
Secondary Long Planned Reaction: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscar Breaking Trajectory. "The Youngest To..."
- The Croods
Chris Sanders, Kirk DeMicco and Kristine Belson
- DespicaBle me 2
Chris Renaud, Pierre Coffin and Chris Meledandri
- Ernest & Celestine
Benjamin Renner and Didier Brunner
Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee and Peter Del Vecho
- The Wind Rises
Hayao Miyazaki and Toshio Suzuki
Instant Reaction: No Monsters University is not sad but if ever they owed a disposable sequel nod to make up for an atrocious shafting of an original (Shrek over Monsters Inc is the grossest thing they've done in terms of Animated Feature wins)
- The Grandmaster Philippe Le Sourd
- Gravity Emmanuel Lubezki
- Inside Llewyn Davis Bruno Delbonnel
- Nebraska Phedon Papamichael
- Prisoners Roger A. Deakins
Instant Reaction: Sean Bobbit (12 Years a Slave) left on the outside of this is probably, bar none, the single most appaling decisino the Academy made. I'm considering him for my win. And for what? Nebraska because black and white? No.
- American Hustle Michael Wilkinson
- The Grandmaster William Chang Suk Ping
- The Great Gatsby Catherine Martin
- The Invisible Woman Michael O’Connor
- 12 Years a Slave Patricia Norris
Instant Reaction: beautiful list!
Secondary Reaction: I have two interviews coming up from this nominee pool. Stay tuned.
- American Hustle David O. Russell
- Gravity Alfonso Cuarón
- Nebraska Alexander Payne
- 12 Years a Slave Steve McQueen
- The Wolf of Wall Street Martin Scorsese
Instant Reaction: ugh on Scorsese getting this over Spike Jonze for Her.
- The Act of Killing Joshua Oppenheimer and Signe Byrge Sørensen
- Cutie and the Boxer Zachary Heinzerling and Lydia Dean Pilcher
- Dirty Wars Richard Rowley and Jeremy Scahill
- The Square Jehane Noujaim and Karim Amer
- 20 Feet From Stardom Nominees to be determined
Instant Reaction: As far as I know I was the only pundit who never once believed that Stories We Tell would be nominated but that doesn't mean I'm happy to be right. Great movie... but this category just hates it when filmmakers push the form.
Instant Reaction #2: No Blackfish? Huh. I thought that would win.
- Cavedigger Jeffrey Karoff
- Facing Fear Jason Cohen
- Karama Has No Walls Sara Ishaq
- The Lady in Number Six: Music Saved My Life Malcolm Clarke and Nicholas Reed
- Prison Terminal: The Last Days of Private Jack Hall Edgar Barens
Instant Reaction: I can't wait to see Cavedigger. Looks so cool.
- American Hustle Jay Cassidy, Crispin Struthers and Alan Baumgarten
- Captain Phillips Christopher Rouse
- Dallas Buyers Club John Mac McMurphy and Martin Pensa
- Gravity Alfonso Cuarón and Mark Sanger
- 12 Years a Slave Joe Walker
Instant Reaction: I really wonder if this wouldn't have been your Best Picture list in ye olden times of 5 nominees with Dallas as the surprise fifth slotter despite no directing nomination
Later: Oh, no Thelma Schoonmaker. I guess some editors could see the strain in getting that thing down to 180 minutes.
- Broken circle Breakdown Belgium
- The Great Beauty Italy
- The Hunt Denmark
- The Missing Picture Cambodia
- Omar Palestine
Instant Reaction: I'm so pleased to see The Missing Picture nominated. And the Grandmaster can't even feel snubbed since it got nominations in other categories.
MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
- Dallas Buyers Club Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews
- Bad Grandpa Stephen Prouty
- The Lone Ranger Joel Harlow and Gloria Pasqua-Casny
Instant Reaction: No American Hustle? What is this branch even doing?
- The Book Thief John Williams
- Gravity Steven Price
- Her William Butler and Owen Pallett
- Philomena Alexandre Desplat
- Saving Mr Banks Thomas Newman
Instant Reaction: Ladies and gentlemen, the gentlemen's club would like to honor... the same people they always honor. Join us on March 2nd forzzz (although the Her score is a nice surprise)
- Alone yet not Alone ALONE YET NOT ALONE Music by Bruce Broughton Lyric by Dennis Spiegel
- Happy DESPICABLE ME 2 Music and Lyric by Pharrell Williams
- let it Go FROZEN Music and Lyric by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
- the moon song HER Music by Karen O Lyric by Karen O and Spike Jonze
- ordinary love MANDELA: LONG WALK TO FREEDOM Music by Paul Hewson, Dave Evans, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Lyric by Paul Hewson
Instant Reaction: After watching the trailer to Alone Yet Not Alone I am midlly terrified that it gets to call itself an Oscar nominee. But I haven't heard the song so I'll shut up. Still... this category. What to do about it?
- American Hustle Production Design: Judy Becker Set Decoration: Heather Loeffler
- Gravity Production Design: Andy Nicholson Set Decoration: Rosie Goodwin and Joanne Woollard
- The Great Gatsby Production Design: Catherine Martin Set Decoration: Beverley Dunn
- Her Production Design: K.K. Barrett Set Decoration: Gene Serdena
- 12 Years a Slave Production Design: Adam Stockhausen Set Decoration: Alice Baker
Instant Reaction: As long as they gave me Her I was going to be good with it.
- feral Daniel Sousa and Dan Golden
- Get A Horse! Lauren MacMullan and Dorothy McKim
- mr. Hublot Laurent Witz and Alexandre Espigares
- possessions Shuhei Morita
- room on tHe Broom Max Lang and Jan Lachauer
LIVE ACTION SHORT
- That Wasnt Me Esteban Crespo
- Just Before Losing Everything Xavier Legrand and Alexandre Gavras
- Helium Anders Walter and Kim Magnusson
- Do I have to take care of everything? Selma Vilhunen and Kirsikka Saari
- The Voorman Problem Mark Gill and Baldwin Li
- All is lost Steve Boeddeker and Richard Hymns
- Captain Phillips Oliver Tarney
- Gravity Glenn Freemantle
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Brent Burge
- Lone Survivor Wylie Stateman
Instant reaction: really happy to see All is Lost in here.
- Captain Phillips Chris Burdon, Mark Taylor, Mike Prestwood Smith and Chris Munro
- Gravity Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead and Chris Munro
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Christopher Boyes, Michael Hedges, Michael Semanick and Tony Johnson
- Inside Llewyn Davis Skip Lievsay, Greg Orloff and Peter F. Kurland
- Lone Survivor Andy Koyama, Beau Borders and David Brownlow
Instant Reaction: Why must they continue nominating the Hobbit for things. Peter Jackson had his chance. And was amply rewarded for it for three consecutive years.
- Gravity Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, Dave Shirk and Neil Corbould
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and Eric Reynolds
- Iron Man 3 Christopher Townsend, Guy Williams, Erik Nash and Dan Sudick
- The Lone Ranger Tim Alexander, Gary Brozenich, Edson Williams and John Frazier
- Star Trek Into Darkness Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Ben Grossmann and Burt Dalton
Instant Reaction: No Pacific Rim but Star Trek? Hmmm
- Before Midnight Written by Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke
- Captain Phillips Screenplay by Billy Ray
- Philomena Screenplay by Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope
- 12 Years a Slave Screenplay by John Ridley
- The Wolf of WAll street Screenplay by Terence Winter
Instant Reaction: I've already griped enough about my feeling that sequels should not be "adapted" (sorry Before Midnight)... they're merely continuations. But the nomination I don't get here is Wolf of Wall Street since we've heard over and over again that the actors just improvised every scene (and it shows, for better and worse)
- American Hustle Written by Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell
- Blue JAsmine Written by Woody Allen
- Dallas Buyers club Written by Craig Borten & Melisa Wallack
- Her Written by Spike Jonze
- Nebraska Written by Bob Nelson
Instant Reaction: The WGA list again, right?
The Live Stream Such As It Was...
Chris Hemsworth is tall. And his voice... oh my