Chris here, with a look at the next Terrence Malick flick. Last his other films of the past decade, this year's Song to Song has been long promised and long in the can, and is suposedly related to last year's Knight of Cups (both of which shot back-to-back). This Austin rock and roll based film is another starry dive we know little about - however this time we'll find out soon when it debuts next month at SXSW Fest and releases in the following weeks. The trailer will be here soon, but we now have a vibrant poster to ruminate over. Some thoughts...
Here's what came to mind:
- This color palate and grungy cutout structure makes this look like Terrence Malick's RENT.
- Four Oscar nominees in the past two years. If all goes according to plan (Malick hopes to see his wartime Radegund released this fall), the director will have four films in two years. Bet you missed/forgot Voyage of Time in 2016.
- The four stars listed on the vinyl sleeve as if the record was their own: What kind of album would they make??
- Malick always has at least one notable actor cut from the film entirely and these four get the only mention on the poster. This had a huge cast in filming, so start your guesses.
- In fact, Malick's name is hidden here. Might this one be trying to distance itself from his whispery brand?