I don't want to give too much attention to a six second tease of a teaser -- I waited a whole day in fact hoping the urge to say something would pass -- but in the end my childhood hardwiring triumphed. I haven't loved or even much liked an X-Movie in 10 years but I will always love the X-Men, for better or worse. Usually worse.
So herewith a few thoughts with screencaps from Bryan Singer's tweeting foreplay.
1. It's a good thing this is a period piece because Professor Xavier's helmet Cerebro is totally irrelevant today. You don't need a mutant locator anymore. The Homo Superior are impossible to miss all smeared across every movie screen and television set and website. Children of the Atom be so ubiquitous in this age of superheroes.
Unfortunately I'm not done blabbering about this yet!
2. It's so tragic that for all the recasting of superheroes over the years (I mean HOW MANY PEOPLE have played Batman now?) that the only person who has ever played Storm is the one who was all wrong for it in the first place. The greatest mark against Berry in the role -- apart from being all wrong for it -- is that she has never once seemed to enjoy playing Storm and Storm is one of the best comic book characters in the history of superherodom. Tis a repetitive pity.
3. Joe Reid cracked me up on twitter with this:
One more movie and Storm will just be bald.
4. I love the character of Mystique. I love Jennifer Lawrence as a celebrity and often as an actor. But these are two great tastes that don't taste great together. I legit think she was bad in this role in X-Men: First Class and though she is an extraordinarily beautiful woman, her beauty doesn't translate well to blue naked body paint and scales. Rebecca Romijn was still a perfect 10 wearing all that mutated f/x makeup. Jennifer Lawrence's hotness is considerably cooled. To appropriate repurpose a truth about people who can't pull off designer clothes, it's like the makeup is wearing her. It's supposed to be the other way around.
5. Never mind Magneto. Michael Fassbender's mutant power is supersized screen magnetism. All the ladies fly towards him legs (open) first.
6. Hugh Jackman torso. Ahhh. All is right with the world again