Chris here. Denis Villeneive has scored his biggest box office hit with Arrival (it's inching close to $100M) but he could score an even bigger hit next year with Blade Runner 2049. The sequel is bound to spur steady curiosity and shrieks of sacrilege from the original's faithful over the next year, but Villeneuve should be the force that unites both factions. And to ease (or maybe exacerbate) those thoughts, we have our first look at the visuals with the just released teaser! We'll save the full YNMS for a more revealing trailer, but I have some thoughts...
- That's a lot of voiceover for a teensy trailer. Uh oh, did they not learn from the original's struggles?
- Denis Villeneuve and Roger Deakins, reunited and it feels so good.
- Ryan Gosling gives good coat. With all that mood and stoicism, this teaser plays like Only God Forgives but, you know, not terrible.
- We see you on that piano, Ryan. La La Land crossover fanfiction!
- With these mostly dusty hues, it's a relief to know that this might be a decades late sequel that doesn't borrow too much from its original, no?
- Deckard seems to have gone all McMansion while in hiding. Maybe Sean Young is lurking somewhere after all.
What do you think of this first look?