Gwyneth Paltrow's new photo shoot for Harper's Bazaar...
Comment(s) Du Jour
20th Century Women is Amazing
"Thrilled to hear that the movie is a worthy follow-up to BEGINNERS!" -Eric
"This is my favorite Bening work since Being Julia. It's very idiosyncratic and un-cuddly." -Paul
LOVE THE SITE? DONATE
Your suscription dimes make an enormous difference to The Film Experience in terms of stability and budget to dream bigger. Consider...
THANKS IN ADVANCE
For those who can't commit to a dime a day, consider a one time donation for an article or a series you are glad you didn't have to live without.
Gwyneth Paltrow's new photo shoot for Harper's Bazaar...
Manuel here. How do we feel about Hailee Steinfeld? I have never seen her Oscar nominated turn in True Grit so I'm obviously at a disadvantage in discussing her career but really enjoyed her in Pitch Perfect 2, The Homesman and Begin Again. I may give the Coens film a chance but if the upcoming The Edge of Seventeen is my first chance to see Steinfeld carry a movie, I think I'll be okay.
Kelly Fremon (who wrote the Rory Gilmore Alexis Bledel pic Post Grad) wrote and directed the teen flick and it may very well be this year's Perks of Being a Wallflower. We finally got a chance to see a poster and a trailer so check out unfiltered thoughts after the jump...
Manuel here. There is nothing funnier (I guess?) than a wedding, which explains why Table 19 is the latest comedy to tackle the hilarity of seeing two people profess their love to one another in as public a venue as one can imagine. I joke, though I have to admit this sub-genre has many great examples to justify its continued deployment: Father of the Bride, Bridesmaids, My Best Friend's Wedding, Muriel's Wedding, Four Weddings and a Funeral. Heck, even Wedding Crashers and The Wedding Singer have their charm.
Will Table 19 join that esteemed group? Let's take a look at its poster:
- Can we all agree this is a pitch perfect teaser poster? It gives you a sense of tone and setting with one simple image. I do wish we'd gotten fancier nail art though.
- "Don't Fit In. Take A Number" strikes me as a better tagline for a comedy set in a deli, a butcher shop, or somewhere else where you'd take appointments. (Rather than a wedding where you just get a number assigned to you, no?)
- What I love about this cast is that it perfectly captures the very spirit of a random table at a wedding. What could they possibly have in common but mere contiguity? Just thinking of the comedic stylings of Stephen Merchant hilariously (one hopes) clashing with those of Craig Robinson is surely one of the selling points.
- The promise of Kendrick and Kudrow in a film is enough to get me to buy a ticket, though now I'm wishing Kudrow had invited the Pitch Perfect star to do an episode of Web Therapy.
- So glad Revolori (so great in The Grand Budapest Hotel) will be back in our screens. Now if only he'd dragged Mr. Gustave himself with him as his +1. They'd fit right in with the teaser poster's color scheme.
- Is June Squibb the best recent example of an Oscar nomination breathing life into a character actress' career? I didn't much care for her in Nebraska but I've been happy to see her pop here (Girls) and there (Getting On).
- January 2017? Oy. I'll try not to read too much into that release date but I already foresee it getting lost in the shuffle of the New Year cinematic doldrums (Oscar players aside).
Oh, and the trailer is up but they had me at the cast and I'm too scared to realize the parts may be greater than the sum, so take a look at give it your own YNMS in the comments.
Will be RSVPing (sorry!) Yes to Table 19?
Thoughts on three new posters as they came to me after the jump...
Readers. I do not know where this image originated but I was so excited when I saw it I stopped breathing for a second. Thoughts that came to me while staring at it without editing them...
I already want to inject this movie directly into my veins.
The Bening is front and center as it should be. Movies that put her off to the side. They're doing it wrong.
Sometimes it disturbs me when Elle Fanning looks directly into the camera. Like, quite possibly, she's not real. Or maybe an alien (I think she is playing one in How To Talk to Girls At Parties but that's just a clever way to throw us off the scent and hide in plain sight)
Remember when Billy Crudup turned down playing the Hulk in the early Aughts? Remember when Billy Crudup left Mary Louise Parker for Claire Danes when MLP was pregnant and everyone hated him? Remember when Billy Crudup was so great in various things throughout his career?
He looks kind of McConaughey Dallas Buyer's ragged in this image and that worries me. Unless it's for the character.
I didn't even recognize Greta Gerwig. WHOA. That's what a change of hair color and cut will do to a person.
When will this movie be in my eyeballs? WHEN? WHEN?!? I have the impatience.
Confrontational hippie boss realness.
I think the boy on the far right is this dude but I'm not sure. (Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating when I click over to IMDb while writing posts. LOL) The movie has something to do with The Bening's relationship to mothering her boy via her other relationships?
Mike Mills last movie Beginners was so original and amazing and personal and resonant and all of the things movies should aspire to be and if this one is that good I will die of happiness while watching it only not all the way dead because it will also give me life and there will be more movies to see after it and I don't want to die.
Greta Gerwig looking like someone else is weird because even though she's Indie Queen, she's actually old fashioned movie star in that she always plays herself. Superbly.
Will it finally be Annette Bening's year at the Oscars? It wasn't in 1990. Or 1999. Or 2004. Or 2010. Who, me? Bitter? What's that woman got to do to win an Oscar?
Look at this amazing poster for Woody Allen's Cafe Society (2016). The film will open the Cannes Film Festival and also, a little closer to home, the Seattle Film Festival this May. It will play near you this August as counterprogramming to Suicide Squad and Pete's Dragon.
After the jump, thoughts I had as they came to me unedited. Share yours, too, why don'cha...