While the world continued to be horrifying this past month was a partial joy thanks to TIFF ushering in prestige film season, our favorite time of year, and a particularly good one from the looks of it. Here are a baker's dozen highlights from the month at the blog in case you missed these...
• Isabelle Huppert is Elle -the French icon slays in this tricky movie
• Blue Velvet - 30 memorable things on its 30th anniversary
• Memories of The Blair Witch Project - Team Experience looks back
• The Red Turtle & Courgette - animation is not a genre
• I Could Go On Singing (1963) - Judy Garland's final film
• The Furniture: Love & Friendship - the country charm of the hit comedy
• Moulin Rouge! the musical numbers we're most eager to see reinvisioned for the stage musical version
7 That Spurred the Most Conversation
• Fences & 20th Century Women -they're finally teasing us
• Oscar Chart Updates -these always spur plentiful conversation
• Tom Hanks in Sully - what does he have to do to nab another Oscar nom?
• Amy Adams Times Two - Oscar's girlfriend in Arrival & Nocturnal Animals
• The Black Dahlia (2006) - looking back at this curiousity 10 years later
• Natalie Portman in Jackie - Fox Searchlight plans a December bow
• Emmy Afterglow - what was your favorite win... other than Sarah Paulson?
7 Things Coming in October
• More from NYFF including 20th Century Women & Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk
• A Marie Antoinette theme party
• 1963 Supporting Actress Smackdown: Tom Jones, Lilies of the Field, and The VIPs
• Fall TV: Crisis in Six Scenes, Divorce, Westworld, Crazy Ex Girlfriend
• New Films: Birth of a Nation, Moonlight, The Handmaiden
• The return of "Oscar Horrors"
• ...and a new series on Costume Design