I can't let Dick Tracy go quite yet! All that discussion and no tremulous ode to Stephen Sondheim's brilliant song score? It won't stand! Every moment when Breathless Mahoney (Madonna) and 88 Keys (Mandy Patinkin) are in frame together is gold.
(Eagle-eyed early 90s obsessiveness will know that Mandy Patinkin also pops up briefly in a celebrity-filled party scene in the Madonna documentary "Truth or Dare")
BEST ORIGINAL MOVIE SONGS OF THE 1990s
Beautiful Song Craft and/or Cheesy Epic Ballads For the Wins
* Oscar nominee ** Oscar winner
- "Wise Up" -Magnolia (Aimee Mann)
technically this song first showed up on the Jerry Maguire soundtrack which is why it wasn't eligible for the Oscars for Magnolia but let's make an exception
- "Sooner or Later"** - Dick Tracy (Stephen Sondheim)
- "Gangsta's Paradise" - Dangerous Minds (Coolio)
deemed ineligible by Oscar due to sampling -- people were obsessed with the scary new "is this songwriting?" world of sampling back then. What to make of it?
- "Stay" - Reality Bites (Lisa Loeb)
- "Be Our Guest" - Beauty & The Beast (Alan Menken & Howard Ashman)
- "More" - Dick Tracy (Stephen Sondheim)
- "You Must Love Me"** - Evita (Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice)
- "God Help the Outcasts" - Hunchback of Notre Dame (Alan Menken)
32 more tunes after the jump