Chris here. Do you remember 1995's Jumanji? That 90s kids classic still holds up today, so naturally we have a remake coming our way. Stars Dwayne Johnson and Jack Black are no strangers to family entertainment, and they're also bringing along the bankability of Kevin Hart and fan favorite Karen Gillan. Here's a first look at what they have in store:
... and I have some thoughts:
- What is this Lara Croft ensemble Gillan is giving us? I'm no prude, but oversexualizing the only woman for a kids movie seems a bit much.
- No seriously, she can't be wearing that little clothes because the jungle is so hot. Jack Black is wearing seventeen layers.
- Does this crew go inside the game? The point of Jumanji is that the wild comes to you.
- Johnson and Black have done plenty of family fare, but Kevin Hart is actually an inspired choice for this kind of entertainment. Can you believe The Secret Life of Pets was his first voiceover work?
- Remember Johnathan Hyde's hunter villain in the original and how Hyde was seemingly the villain in all mid-90s movies? I wonder if we'll get another stock villain actor here too.
- ... sigh What's Bonnie Hunt up to these days?
Jumanji opens next summer. Do you have fond memories of the original?