We did this once for the 1990s and you loved it, so here's round two.
Young Oscar fanatics might not have tripped over this tidbit yet but in the 1980s they were still giving out an award for "Original Song Score" - an old vestige category of the decades when a dozen plus movie musicals arrived each year. Three of these Oscars were handed out in the 1980s for Victor / Victoria (1982), Yentl (1983) and Purple Rain (1984). None have been handed out since even though it's technically still a category... just not one that they invoke anymore. Though it's a pity they didn't consider giving one to Moulin Rouge! or Hedwig and the Angry Inch for 2001 as the category can also be awarded to "Adaptation Score"
The presence of this category in the early 80s probably explains why Purple Rain and Victor/Victoria had no "Original Song" nominees in their years (why double dip?) but it does not explain why Yentl had nominations in both categories. Because of these films I only allowed myself 2 songs per movie so as not to let these five films hog this entire list.
BEST ORIGINAL MOVIE SONGS OF THE 1980s
Beautiful Song Craft and/or Cheesy Epic Ballads For the Wins
* Oscar nominee | ** Oscar winner
- "Nine to Five"* -Nine to Five (Dolly Parton)
- "Le Jazz Hot" - Victor/Victoria (Henry Mancini)
- "Purple Rain" - Purple Rain (Prince)
- "Into the Groove" - Desperately Seeking Susan (Madonna)
- "Xanadu" - Xanadu (Jeff Lynne)
- "Fame"** - Fame (Michael Gore & Dean Pitchford)
- "When Doves Cry" - Purple Rain (Prince)
33 more numbers after the jump...