Alexa here. When my friend Mike found out that I would be making a pie in honor of this year's Oscars, he made some quick guesses as to the theme:
- Black and white for The Artist?
- Pineapple coconut for The Descendants?
- Ringling Bros clown cream pie for Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close?
- Humble Pie by Alabama for The Help?
- A Trip To The Moon cheesecake for Hugo?
- French Silk pie for Midnight in Paris?
- Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and Chevrolet for Moneyball?
- Pi for The Tree of Life?
- Cowpie for War Horse?
I quickly wished I had the energy to make nine pies instead of just one. In that spirit, here are some great Oscar-themed goodies I've seen around the web, along with the pie I ended up with. Feel free to share your own menu cleverness in the comments.
Of all the Oscar recipe ideas I've seen, I thought these Oscar-themed dogs were best (but then again I'm from Chicago, where encased meat is king). From the top: The Help Southern fried chicken sausage dog, The Artist old-time Hollywood dog, Midnight in Paris Parisian Pâté dog, The Descendants Hawaii dog with grilled Pineapple and Sriracha, Hugo watch dog, War Horse bruised and bleeding dog, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close NYC dog with mustard and sauerkraut, The Tree of Life dog with spinach, and a simple ballpark dog for Moneyball.